SAVING ROMANIAN STRAYS
Step 3 - You look like a good match for the dog on paper, now what?
Use the "contact us" form to check whether the dog/dogs you are interested in are still available.
Step 5 - Your new dog arrives!!
Contract - Please complete and return one copy to SRS at the address provided to you in your welcome email
Complete the "adoption enquiry" form to give us more information about yourself.
Additional information – We have taken useful information from multiple resources to pull together one document which we hope you will find useful. It covers many aspects of dog ownership including foods to avoid, behaviour etc etc. Links to the original sources can also be found in the attached.
WHY WE ARE SO CAREFUL WHO ADOPTS
When approving adoptive homes, Saving Romanian Strays has certain requirements in place to help ensure that the pets we place find themselves in happy, well-adjusted homes, who value them as a family member and understand humane and proper care. While you may be the most loving family…..you may NOT be the right home for the pet in question. Please remember that our job is to find the right home for the pet…...
1. We require confirmation of regular visits to the vet for vaccinations, exams, tests, etc. for all pets (including cats) and confirmation of your vets contact information. We look for homes where the animal’s medical needs are treated as seriously as the medical needs of their owners.
2. Some of our pets will require experienced owners but we WILL consider adopting to first time pet owners where this is appropriate for the pet. Past behavior is our best predictor of future behavior. (THERE ARE ALWAYS EXCEPTIONS)
3. We require an adequate setting for the dog. What is adequate varies from dog to dog. Some dogs may do well in an apartment/flat setting and some may not, some may need a fenced garden, some may need someone at home most of the day, etc. We do our best to find the right fit. Our aim is to find the right home for the dog..
6. We believe that the only solution to pet overpopulation is spaying and neutering. Therefore, we look for families who share this philosophy and spay and neuter their pets.
7. We have an ongoing relationship with our adopting parties, so we look for families with whom we find it easy to work. We reserve the right to refuse adoption to anyone for any reason at any time.
8. If you are a renter, we require permission from your landlord for the pet to reside in the home.
9. Please remember, we are not the average rescue and some of our animals are dogs that NO OTHER RESCUE WOULD TAKE...this means that some of our dogs have behavioral issues, For this reason, we are EXTREMELY cautious as to the homes we select.
10. All applicants must be at least 21yrs of age.
If you do not meet these minimum requirements, please wait until your circumstances change before applying to adopt.
Dogs and Children – We attach some posters (information on original developers can be found in the attached) which you may find useful to print out if your dog will be around children.
Step 2 - Good News! The dog is still available...
We are so grateful that you are considering helping one of our dogs.
If you have seen a dog you like we can give you more information about him/her. If you are looking for a dog and need advice we are very happy to provide suggestions and try and match you to the right dog.
We are here to support you throughout the process and once your dog has settled in to your home. If you have any problems or questions, no matter how minor they may seem, just contact our team who will be happy to help.
We will arrange for someone to come and do a home check OR complete a virtual homecheck if needed which is vital to establish which dog(s) would be suitable. Once we receive feedback from the homecheck, we can confirm the suitability of a dog you have chosen
PETLOG We will update all of your information on PetLog. It can take around 3 weeks for them to process so please look out for an email which you will need to click on a link to confirm your details. In the meantime ensure that your dog has a collar with ID and phone number just in case they escape. If you have already updated PetLog OR have already received your PETLOG confirmation as I have done some of your dogs already please let us know.
Now we ask you to sign the adoption contract and pay the adoption fee. We then arrange for the dog to be put on the happy bus from Romania (or collected from our Glasbow shelter).
Step 1 - Seen a dog/dogs that you are interested in?
Training plan – we ask that you follow this as it will help your dog settle and also address any behaviour problems. We do have a behaviourist who can support but this training plan really does work if followed consistently.
How to Adopt
Step 4 - Home check is successful - the final phase
General SRS Information form - please read before receiving your dog
Saving Romanian Strays © All rights reserved
The main message is we are here to support you and if you have ANY problems no matter how minor they may seem just shout!
A HUGE thank you all on behalf of SRS for adopting one of our lovely dogs. Good luck and please keep us updated on your pets progress. WE LOVE PICTURES and you can also post on our community page on facebook – feel free to join up .
Pet Passport – This document will help you to understand the information contained within your pet passport. You may want to take this with you when you get your dog registered at the vets. It will help clarify the vaccinations received etc. If you have any questions (or your vet does) please get in touch as we can support.
We continue to provide advice and support for you and your dog for as long as needed.
Please note that Saving Romanian Strays are under no obligation to provide feedback on adoption applications or homechecks and reserve the right to stop adoption proceedings at any point in the process.